Friday 28 September 2012

SPIKES plus - extra personal notes

S - Setting
P - Perception
I - Invitation
K - Knowledge
E - Empathy
S - Strategy and summary


Pointers
  • Start off with "You look worried, do you mind telling me what's worrying you?" as opposed to asking concerns directly
  • Pick up more unspoken Qs even when there is clearly nothing - "You look very quiet, may I know what's going on in your mind?"
  • Say things like "I'm really sorry to say that, " or "Unfortunately, " or "I'm afraid that, "
  • ACKNOWLEDGE FEELINGS/CONCERNS
  • Don't BLOCK cues!
  • Be honest about uncertainties - "I'm sorry, but I can't guarantee that..."
  • It is possible to pause after every step, and the pause doesn't need to be right at the end
  • ASK FOR PERMISSION TO GO ON, EVEN BETWEEN STEPS! YOU CAN ASK FOR PERMISSION MORE THAN ONCE!
  • Don't forget to summarising
  • PAUSE PAUSE PAUSE! Just keep pausing as much as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment