Monday 12 November 2012

Antibiotics

Septic arthritis
  • Medical emergency
  • Urgent gram staining and culture are indicated
  • Staphylococcus aureus is the most common infecting pathogen
  • Intravenous benzylpenicillin plus flucloxacillin
  • Opportunistic infection if the patient is immunocompromised (e.g. HIV positive)

Systemic MRSA infection
  • Vancomycin is a glycopeptide antibiotic indicated for treatment of MRSA infection
  • Should be given intravenously for systemic infection
  • Teicoplanin is similar glycopeptide antibiotic with longer duration of action (so it can be given once daily)

Uncomplicated UTI
  • Trimethoprim should not be given in pregnancy because it is a folic acid antagonist and teratogenic
  • Quinolones and tetracycline should be avoided.
  • Adverse effects of nitrofurantoin include diarrhoea, vomiting, neuropathy, and fibrosis
  • Nitrofurantoin should be avoided in pregnant mothers at term and in breast feeding mothers

Antibiotic prophylaxis for cholecystectomy
  • Intravenous co-amoxiclav is alternative to intravenous cefuroxime plus metronidazole

Chlamydia infection
  • Tetracycline is first-line treatment for chlamydia infection
  • Absolutely contraindicated in pregnancy and when breast-feeding
  • Tetracyclines are deposited in growing bone and can lead to permanent staining of teeth and dental hypoplasia
  • Patients treated with tetracycline are told to avoid milk products because these decrease absorption of the drug

1 comment:

  1. I had Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis Testing done with Nerve conduction study,EMG,MRI,Blood and urine tests,Muscle biopsy and My primary care physician prescribed Riluzole (Rilutek)and Edaravone (Radicava) But Dr. Eric Ehle and Eric were concerned about the medication side effect due to my age so I was advised to use Dr Itua herbal medicine which one of his patient has purchase before using it to cure her herpes virus then I was hopeful because I truly believe in natural herbs than medicated drugs, I purchase Dr Itua herbal medicine and it got deliver to me within some days then I used it as prescribed since 2016 till 2021 now I'm totally free with no symptoms or side effect and I decided that I should have this opportunity to introduce to you my life saver Dr Itua herbal center who cures all such of human disease and infections example'' HIV,Parkinson,Herpes,Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis,MS,Diabetes,Lupus,HPV,Hepatitis,Cancer and kidney disease. Contact Dr Itua herbal center on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com purchase his herbal medicine and be healed.

    ReplyDelete